Saturday, April 12, 2008

Old Friends

Out of something bad comes something good.

I have heard that saying before and just experienced a wonderful example of how it is true.

A little more than a month ago, a really good friend of mine, El Dougo, suffered the loss of his mom. During the course of contacting old friends to let them know this, the idea of putting a reunion together came up. Apparently, the idea has come up in the past, but the ball never got rolling more that a few feet before it got tangled up in the thick weeds in the ball field of life. (Nice metaphor, eh?).

Lyssy, who lives up in Anchorage, suggested that she & I plan the stupid thing out. She was gonna be in the Cities around July 4th. We could plan the reunion around that time so she could come, too.

That made sense, but I thought it was the kiss of doom for the idea. I am such a good planner, that my wife had to plan her own 40th birthday party to make sure it got done right. No matter how good of an Cruise Director Lyssy is, getting me involved would certainly slow the process down and doom it to the inevitable "Woulda, coulda, shoulda, didn't" fate of so many other things in the past.

A couple weeks ago, a spark flared up and I sent out an email to the few Quad Squadders who I had address for, the Mamma's Boys that would maybe want to attend the event and and a few others who might also want to be there. I included an open invitation to include anyone they thought would be interested in attending. The list of names from the past is growing and I am so excited, and I just can't hide it, I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. (bad 80's song lyric reference)

I haven't seen a majority of the people who are coming in over 10 years. Imagine that, 10 years! This is the group of people where I spent almost every weekend and most of my free time hanging out with. This is the group of people I chose to spend time with when I came up to the Cities instead of weeing my parents or brother. I spent all of my 20's hanging out with them and shared a huge chunk of life's experiences with them. We suffered , discovered and celebrated life together for over a decade. The thought, back then , of not seeing them at the very least monthly, seemed impossible. They were fun, good looking and often time, way more adventurous than I was. I grew so much because of them.

The "big" event is happening. June 30, 2008. Como Picnic Shelter. A beautiful setting to get together with a bunch of incredible friends that I haven't seen in way too long of a time.

Sher Pie, Plumpke (no that isn't Morris Day, "Jerome, get me my hat!), John 1, Lyssy aka Millie aka Mildew aka Cruella DeVille), Paige aka booker, Marcia, Em, Cindy aka Happy Happy, Drainage(you gott eat me I'm a danish),Smedley, Rhonda aka Rhoda aka Road Kill, Lo, Pork Chop, Picht O'Sh!t, Stain, Beef, T-Bone, Annie, Pooker, George, Molly, Joe Mamma, El Dougo, Stooch.

Is it June, yet?

No comments: