Sunday, March 16, 2008

A letter to a Radio Guy

This is a copy of the email I sent to Chris Hawkey. On Saturday, he was the co-Grand-Marshall of the St. Paul St. Patrick's Day Parade. Did I shake "The SuperStar's" hand? Hell know I only wanted to thank Hawk.

"Chris,

I am the big lunk who shook your hand and thanked you just before the start of the parade on Saturday. I just wanted to thank you again for inspiring me to get off my fat ass and start running.

When you started training for Grandma's over a year ago, you kept saying that everyone should read "The Courage to Start", by John Bingham Listening to your recount the trials and tribulations of your training runs awakened a fire in me. When I was in Junior High, I used to run the 800m. I wanted to run again . It was December 2006 and the thought of my getting my 42 year old, 6' 3" and 275 pound carcass running again seemed impossible. As it turns out, it wasn't.

In January 2007, I started running. My first time out, I ran one block, walk one block and repeat that for a total of 1.2 miles. I was gassed. Every week, I kept hearing your about your struggles and triumphs while training for both the Grandma's and the Helsinki Marathons and that kept me going. I finally decided I needed to run a race to be complete. I chose the James Page 5k Blubber Run in September (you got a free Brat and 2 free beers and the end of the race, perfect). I beat my goal of 30 minutes by finishing in 29:57. I set my goals higher and have since run the Turkey Day 5k (28:47) and the Securian Frozen Half-Marathon (2:27:27).

I am now 255 lbs. That is still not skinny, but hell, I ran 11 miles in under two hours on Saturday morning before I went to the St Patrick's Day Parade. Last year , if you would have told me that, I would have suggested you put down the Hookah pipe and give your brain a rest. Up next, the Lake Mtka half on May 4 and Grandma's Marathon on June 21st. I have done the hard work, but you provided the inspiration. I will be forever grateful.

If you need inspiration to get running again. I suggest you listen to the Phedippidations podcast at SteveRunner.com. It is an informative, inspirational and entertaining show dedicated to marathon running.

On Fan Motorsports, you have had Dennis Michelsen and John Daly on as guests. You also have Suzie (aka Sweet17) on as a regular contributor. All three are active on Rowdy.com. I am semi-active (RoyBoy21). I think it would be a great idea to get one of the main guys from Rowdy (Buck Fever, Bass Masters or Buzz Cutler) on the show. Fan Motorsports got a nice plug on the January 29th show. I have attached the show. They talk about Fan Motorsports about 20 minutes into the show.

If your band decides to play Kolacky Days in Montgomery again, go to the softball fields and have a beer with the Mamma's Boys. We are the 18 time defending Beer-Drinking Trophy Champions (hence the 255 lbs). If I don't see you there, maybe it will be at Torge's in Spam Town. My lovely wife is from there.

Thank you again for the inspiration that you have given me. Thank you, too, for the the entertainment you provide every morning and every Saturday afternoon.

Thank you,
Ron Steiner
(RoyBoy21)"

No, I don't believe in hero worship. No, I don't want to suck his dick. I just wanted to thank the man for providing the inspriation to help turn around my lethargic life. It is good to have a goal in my life again , and not just to exist for the sake of existing.

No comments: