Friday, March 5, 2010

Getting Back At It!

One thing that I enjoy doing, but have not been able to do in a long, long time is running. I have tendinitis in my Achilles Tendon and the damn thing is taking it sweet ole time healing. I haven't done enough to help it heal, but I think I have the plan that will get me back on the road on April 1st. No foolin'.

http://www.c25k.com/

OK, so it isn't my plan, but I figure it is a way to slowly expose the goddam thing to the road a little at a time.

I tried running through the injury when I first felt it. I thought I'd be able to just do long slow runs with no speed work. The problem was that I kept running, not resting and beat the shit out of it for four months. On top of that, I was wearing these hard, custom-fitted, $250.00 insoles that the chiropractor assured me would be just the thing my sore knee would need. Needless to say, they weren't made for running and I am still suffering the effects from their abuse.

I am watching what I am eating, not eating at night and not drinking as much as I was in the past. I am hoping that all of these will add up to a smaller version of me that will put less strain on the tendon. I have also been going to the Y, although not as often as during the past few weeks. I am also trying to go to bed earlier, so I can get up earlier, and eventually use that time to get in my daily runs.

Progress has been good, the heel feels better after walking the dog in the a.m. two of the last three days. I have lost 12 or 13 lbs since the beginning of the year and I have cut back on my imbibing. I had two tonight with Chris, and certainly could have had 5 or 6 more. More on this subject in the future.

Well, it is 10:30 and time for this old fart to get to bed,so I can get up way too early on a Saturday morning and walk the f'ing dog. What I won't do to get back out on the road. Gotta turn off the TV, that dumbass Jay Leno is on. I can't stand him.

No comments: